Thursday, December 22, 2011

thankful.

I love Christmastime...and now that I'm a mama, it definitely makes me wanna be more festive...decorations, christmas music, cookies, crafts...this year has been the most fun. I think because Stetson is at the age where he understands more, gets excited about opening presents, etc. He had a birthday party for Jesus at preschool (where he told me "we had a cake for him") and didn't have a clue who Santa was on the TV the first time he saw him...(ME: Who is that, Stetson? STETSON: Joseph or somping? ME: No... STETSON: Ewijah?)...Ha! The only place he has seen white bearded men is in his children's bible. :) This moment made me laugh and pleased at the same time.

Aside from all the normal 3 year old make-you-crazy-behavior, Stetson is pretty spectacular. His memory is astounding. He remembers everything. Musicians, songs, tunes, VEHICLES (his obsession), directions when we're in the car (he knows what parts of town all our friends/fam live, stores we go to, etc), shapes, letters, numbers...we are continually amazed. He's learning to write and is already becoming interested in reading (he's always asking "what does that say?" about anything with writing on it). I love watching his little brain work.

One of our latest discoveries of a way to help him manage some of his emotions has been to use a timer...on the regular. Almost "quiet time", almost bedtime, almost time to leave someone's house...he responds really well to it. Now he asks most of the time for us to set the timer. I can appreciate needing to know what's up and being mentally prepared. ;)

MY LITTLE STAR...oooooooooh my little beauty. She is babbling up a storm, still all smiles, rolling around (mostly in her bed), scooting backward a little, jumping in the johnny jump up...(Stetson was a few months behind on gross motor skills so I'm waiting to see how it all unfolds with her)...like him, she is already very dexterous...feeding herself really well and even not wanting me to put cheerios in her mouth for her! Today, I told Stella to say hey to her daddy and she looked at him and waved for the first time...and once again, I was a goner. GAH! She is too preshie for words. She also was being held by one of her uncles and wanted me and leaned toward me with her arms out and said "mama". Talk about melting my heart. Stetson was never really like that with me. He would want me to hold him but he wasn't near as attached to me. I have to say, one thing I love about having kids is that, having always loved babies, I've waited my whole life to have one want ME! On days like today when my daughter just wants me and says mama to me for the first time, it is a guilty pleasure and a great joy.

This December has been the least stressful one I've had in years. I think mainly because it's my first year not working and December is a salon's busiest month. So I've been able to somewhat leisurely shop throughout the month...have plenty of time with my little family...watch lots of Christmas movies with James...enjoy wrapping gifts & making treats...instead of trying to cram all of these things into my days off work and being exhausted all the time. I especially enjoy late in the evening, after the kids are in bed...usually in the midst of picking up around the house, dealing with the last bit of dishes, etc...sitting down for a bit in a quiet house, with the christmas lights making everything homey, some delicious hot chocolate in hand, and being reminded of how blessed I am.
So thankful.

1 comment:

A Cup Bearer said...

Oh, Jacki, those little ones aren't the only ones who have grown and changed over this year. YOU, sweet one, have blossomed as well! It's written throughout your posts.

I'm so glad you're posting again! Have missed it -- but, of course, have kept abreast of you all through Mimi.

By chance will James be at Passion with JM? I'll be there in the green room during rehearsals this weekend. Let me know. (Please send me an email or fb msg. if he is.)

You are beautiful through and through and I delighted in being part of your journey this morning via your blogging. Keep at it...

Love you!