Friday, December 16, 2011

Perspective.

When I re-read my last post, it almost makes me laugh...almost.

So much has changed in our lives since then...I shortly thereafter discovered I was pregnant with Stella...had a fairly non-eventful (aside from having gestational diabetes, being on an EXTREMELY strict diet, and having to give myself insulin shots) pregnancy that flew by...as I imagine all but the first pregnancies do...and she was born via scheduled c-section on March 28th at 7:40 a.m...7 lbs, 11 oz and 19 3/4 in of the sweetest little bundle of all things delightful...that said, the past almost 9 months have gone by in a blink. Once we got past the sleepless nights (she slept through the night for the first time at 6 weeks and then consistently ever since the day she turned 9 weeks...same age Stetson started sleeping through the night), life with Stella on board has added another layer of love and joy to my heart and soul. She is truly a delight. Can't think of a better word for her. I think she came out with a smile on her face. The only thing she means serious business about is her eatin'...and I can't blame her. ;) I didn't go back to work after she was born...it has been an adjustment in more ways than one...but it has also been my heart's desire for most of my life. So...I'm LOVING it...even when I'm exhausted, stressed out, lonely, and half crazy. I love it.

My experience with Stella has been a bit different than it was with Stetson...mainly because I didn't return to work, I have exclusively breastfed (which means I live my life in (now) 4 hour increments between feedings), I'm making all of her babyfood...and now we're giving cloth diapering a try (which has been a great experience so far!)...so I have definitely been embracing being a stay-at-home-mom when it comes to caring for and snuggling my sweet little star. You would think the new baby would be the one that has been a lot of work...but she has been God's grace to me this year.

And then there's my fantastic 3 1/2 year old. Wow. If I had only known what was in store for me when I last posted about him wanting to use the potty. Ha! If I remember correctly, that lasted for about 2 weeks. So...as anyone with a son knows...boys quickly evolve into wild little creatures. Stetson changed so much between 2 and 3. He went to mother's morning out twice a week. He started talking more. And more. And more. And climbing everything. And jumping off everything. And reaching the age where you feel like you spend most of your time trying to keep them safe. :/

And then he turned 3. And it got even crazier. Our beloved pediatrician forewarned us at his 3 year check-up that it can be a hard age...especially if they're verbal...and he most definitely is. My plan had been to start potty training after his third birthday...Stella would be around for a few months by then...maybe he would be adjusted...he would be old enough to know what was up...HA!!! Needless to say, this past summer was one of the hardest of my life because of those two little words. POTTY TRAINING. Where are the children who genuinely just have to get the hang of it, figure it out, and then are so happy to do it for you? I don't have one of those. Oh no...that would be too easy. He knew exactly what to do....how to do it...when to do it...and was even staying dry all night. But he meant he was gonna stick it to us. It was a summer filled with lots of poop and pee clean-ups...lots of tears from both of us...lots of stress for me because he had to be potty trained to go to preschool. It was another one of those things where I was really glad at the beginning that I didn't know what I was in for. Yikes. So there was that. And there has been MUCH sassing..."don't say that to me"...much challenging our EVERY word and/or threat...this kid is gonna be quite the leader...can't wait to see what the plan for his life entails. Yes, 3 has been the most challenging age I've yet to experience.

But it has also been full of many new and fun stages...so much more independence...picking out clothes, getting dressed, FINALLY being potty trained, singing songs, knowing the alphabet, counting, learning to write (trace) letters and numbers, fixing his own snacks/drinks, being a good little helper, overcoming some fears (mainly the vacuum and small appliances), loving being the "door holder" for me, using whatever he can find to be his "phone" that he texts from, takes pictures with, makes calls from, and charges...really just acting so much like a tiny adult (or should I say teenager?) that it is hilarious. Lots of pretending. Lots of precious moments being hilarious, curious, sensitive, sweet and loving...in the midst of all the screaming, crying fits and meltdowns because HE wants to buckle his own car seat, open the car door, etc.

Stetson simply adores his daddy. And he has been mostly sweet to Stella...just a little too rough sometimes. However, he unfortunately has a love/hate relationship with me. He is a man's man. If James isn't home, he's sweet to me and accepts me being the one to see about him. If James IS home...he makes no bones about it...he pretty much doesn't want me for anything. This has not been easy to swallow. And has made this third year difficult for me to navigate emotionally. He is not a mama's boy. He wants his daddy...all the time. He doesn't even want me to look at him if he gets hurt ("you can't see me wike dis"). James is really working with him on how to treat his mama (PTL) and I have definitely (and finally) started seeing some improvement...so that has been encouraging. Don't get me wrong, I love that he adores his daddy so much. I want him to be a man's man. But I am really asking the Lord to help me manage this, too. It's hard for my heart.

It's been a lot, this year. A new baby, recovering from major surgery, a 3 year old boy, potty training, husband away on a 7 week tour this fall...I'd say I've had my work cut out for me. But, you know what? I survived...by the grace of God. And I learned a lot. About loving when it's easy to love and especially when it's not. About leaving dishes in the sink and playing with your kids. About checking on other people when you're feeling really lonely. About realizing what your own needs are and speaking up. And, of course, I messed up A LOT. And I pretty much have realized I may never (will never) have it all together at the same time. And it'll be ok. Let's just I hope I don't do any permanent damage to those in my household in the process. ;)

2 comments:

Hannah Hoffmann said...

SO glad to see a new post from you, and I love seeing what God is teaching you. I am always amazed how much we grow in every way by being mamas. What a gift.
FOUR is my favorite age so far. I wish they could skip three. Two is tough. Three is devastating. Four makes up for it in so many ways. Hang in there. And keep writing...you have a gift. :)

Holly said...

my eyes lit up when i saw that you had posted. You're a delightful writer and dare I say it, becoming quite the earth momma!

p.s. the last post was pretty funny knowing what we know about Stetson's potty training. I love that God allows us to be naive sometimes.